TO Election: 10 Questions About Food to Ask Candidates
Is your candidate for City Council or Mayor food friendly?
Here are 10 sample questions to ask candidates.
- Almost 1 in 4 Torontonians live in poverty and many others live unreasonably far from grocery stores and farmers’ markets. As city councillor/mayor how will you address this issue?
- One in ten jobs in Ontario are in the food sector, how will you support new food businesses?
- Municipalities across Ontario and North America are implementing sustainable food procurement policies to support farmers and local economies. As councillor/mayor, how will you ensure that local, healthy and culturally appropriate food is being served in all City facilities?
- What are your ideas for improving the food truck policies in the city and how will you provide incentives for healthy street food?
- How will you reduce food waste in our city?
- Do you support more healthy food being sold at easily accessible convenience stores?
- How will you work with the provincial and federal governments to improve social assistance rates and ensure a living wage which more accurately reflect the cost of a nutritious food basket?
- Will you support the implementation of the Golden Horseshoe Food and Farm Action Plan?
- How will you support residents to start more community gardens?
- How will you support a food security strategy for Toronto Community Housing residents?